Friday, August 21, 2015

DIY on the Fly Friday

HAPPY FRIDAY!  We made it through our first full week of school and let me tell you, it hasn't been as bad as I imagined, so yay for that!!  This morning I was thinking that we'd take a break from organization and I'd give you a little DIY inspiration as we head into the weekend. (Maybe, just maybe I'll make this a "thing" so let's see how it goes!)

Remember when I said earlier that when I made the decision to blog, I ran into a bit of writers block, actually writers fright is what I think my situation was. Anyway, I still did projects and I still took pictures in hopes that one day when I came out of the fog, I'd have something to share. With that being said, I will apologize now for the poor picture quality.

I have a tendency to keep things to the point where I'm flirting with the line of being considered a "hoarder". I don't like to get rid of something right away just because my taste or decorating may have changed, just in case I may be able to use things in a different way. Typically this has happened when we move because I have a hard time decorating how I did in the last place we lived. I had been using Instagram for a while when we moved to South Carolina and stumbled upon a cool little thing called Social Print Studio. Intrigued I thought I'd give it a whirl. I was thoroughly impressed when I received my order! The picture quality was great and the card stock was super adorable. But now what??


But then this guy was staring at me and the light bulb went off...


We were still using silver in our new bedroom, but not the blue in the picture. I bought this picture a LONG time ago from Michaels I believe. I flipped it over and started dismantling it. I kept the picture, but flipped it over to the blank side and removed the blue trim piece. I arranged my favorite Instagram pictures and marked where they were with blue painters tape. That way when I would do the next step, I could remember where they were and easily affix them.

Poor picture quality I know. 
Next came the fun part!!! We have decorated coastal even when we lived in Ohio, which is why we were super excited to move closer to the coast, because it's where our hearts have always migrated to.  I decided to use spray adhesive and coat the whole piece of the flipped over picture, then I sprinkled it with sand I had bought from Michaels. 



After everything dried, which didn't take long, I used adhesive dots to adhere the pictures to the paper and positioned everything in the frame.  I loved the way the sand looked and gave it some nice subtle texture.

See the pretty sand!


Once everything was put back together, it was time to hang it on the wall. And wow, was I happy!!!


Viola! Same frame, different look! Before you donate, sell, or trash something, try looking at it in a different way and I think you'll be surprised by its potential! Happy weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment